The Center for Transatlantic Relations Paul Nitze School of Advanced Studies (SAIS) John Hopkins University, Washington – DC Centre Thucydide – Université Panthéon – Assas (Paris II) The American Consortium on European Studies (ACES) EU Center, Washington, DC Workshop, Washington DC, May 13-14, 2004
————— – Thursday, May 13 1:30-2:00 p.m. Opening address : Kim Holmes, Assistant Secretary for International Organization Affairs, U.S. Department of State
2:00-3:45 p.m. Session I : The UN Security Council as a Collective Institution
Moderator : Peter Hill, Strategy and Innovation, Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
- Membership in the Security Council : Ambassador Kishore Mahbubani, Permanent Representative of Singapore to the United Nations.
- Legal and institutional means: Professor Serge Sur, Université de Paris II, France.
- Functional rules and organization of work: Professor Ruth Wedgwood, The Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies, Washington, D.C.
3: 45-4 :00 p.m. Coffee Break
4 :00-5: 45 p.m. Session II : Challenges for the UN Security Council
Moderator : Pascal Teixeira, Deputy Director, UN and International Organisations Directorate, French Ministry for Foreign Affairs
- International Terrorism : Dr. Chantal de Jonge Oudraat, CTR, SAIS.
- Proliferation of WMD: Dr. Leonard Spector, Deputy Director, Monterey Institute for International Studies (Invited).
- Failing States and Nation Building: Ambassador Chester Crocker, Georgetown University.
7:00-9:00 p.m. Dinner ————— – Friday May 14
9:00-10:45 a.m. Session III : The Use of Military Force
Moderator : Professor Michael Glennon, Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University, USA.
- Peace operations: Dr. William Durch, Stimson Center, Washington, D.C.
- Self Defense: Changing practices ? : Professor Philippe Weckel, Université de Nice Sophia-Antipolis, France.
- Pre-emptive / Preventive Wars: Dr. Esther Brimmer, Center for Transatlantic Relations, SAIS, USA.
10:45-11:00 – Coffee Break
11.00-12:45 a.m. Session IV : The UN Security Council and other international institutions : partners, subcontractors, or competitors ?
Moderator : Dr. Ulrike Guérot, German Marshall Fund, Germany
- UN specialized agencies and/or regional organisations: Professor Anthony Arend, Georgetown University, USA.
- NATO: Dr. Louise Fawcett, Department of Politics and International Relations; St Catherine’s College, Oxford University, UK. (Invited)
- European Union: Ambassador Elda Stifani, Head of the Liaison Office to the United Nations, Council of the European Union